Thursday, October 23, 2014

Beaudry Loop- Glendale, CA


Last weekend, Sim and I got up early and made the drive to Glendale. Since we had gotten a couple of small hiking adventures under our belts, I wanted to try something a little more challenging. That is how I decided on the Beaudry Loop.

We parked in a quiet neighborhood and followed a wide, dirt road along a chain link fence. Here we met two very unfriendly dogs that were quite displeased to see us. One of the dogs pulled free of his owner's grip and ran at Sim. My Simi, of course, bared his teeth as he ran to hide behind me and fell on his haunches in his hurry. He looks like a tough guy but he has about as much courage as Oz's Cowardly Lion. Thankfully, the owner got ahold of his dog before he could touch anybody. It was a bit of a rocky start to a good trip. 

Since he was unscathed, we continued and soon hit a fork with a sign pointing to "Beaudry S" and "Beaudry N". We chose south (though with a loop I suppose its all the same).

We followed a mild ascent for about three miles. Observation: A mild ascent doesn't feel all that mild when it goes on for three miles.

There were patches of shade along the way where the air felt blessedly cool. It was in these spots that we paused for water breaks and to drink in the sights. The sights, by the way, were beautiful. Some parts of the mountains were covered in full bursts of foliage in many shades of green. Others were rugged and earthy, lumped with stones and brush. Like I said, a very pretty place I would be happy to return to.