Saturday, October 11, 2014

Sunrise Hike

Last weekend, we made an early morning trip to Anaheim to visit the Weir Canyon Loop. We got to the trailhead around 6:00 am so that we could make our way to one of the higher hilltops to watch the sun rise around 6:48 am. There happened to be a sturdy, old railing stuck in the earth at the top of one such hilltop. So, I slipped Sim's leash over this and we sat down to watch the view and eat some breakfast. (Note: Peanut Butter and Nutella sandwiches do not taste good when you make them the night before.)

I'm glad that I had this stake to loop Sim to, because I don't trust him off leash on hikes. He adores chasing prey. He'd be gone in the blink of an eye if he saw a rabbit or bird or even a bumble bee.

As if to reinforce this idea, he attempted to chase a fox later on this morning... And though he surely loves the chase, he rarely catches a thing. Which I am quite happy about. I think his most impressive kills to date include an earthworm that got stuck on a sidewalk and a grasshopper that made its way into my house.

And so the sun rose over the hills in the distance and it was a lovely sight. It was a great way to start a morning with my little guy.