Sunday, August 10, 2014

Founder's Day- The Little Red Dog, Inc.

A few months before I graduated college, I fell in love with a picture of baby Sim I found on adoptapet.com. He was the cutest little rollie pollie with a huge head and round, little eyes that were really far apart. In the picture it looked like he was falling asleep. Who wouldn't fall in love with this handsome, little man? He had one sister and four brothers in his litter and they all needed homes.


Long story short, I drove out to a PetSmart parking lot in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA the morning after Valentine's Day and brought home my little bundle of furry joy.

I got him from a wonderful rescue based in Lake Forest, CA called The Little Red Dog, Inc. It was founded in memory of a red-colored pit bull that was beaten to death when she refused to participate in the dog fighting ring. The Little Red Dog is working to change the unfounded, bad reputation of the American Pit Bull Terrier and put an end breed discrimination. They find safe, loving homes for dogs of all breeds. You can learn more about the organization here: http://thelittlereddog.com/welcome

TLRD had their first annual Founder's Day event in Pittsford Park, Lake Forest last weekend. There
were booths with vendors offering free treats for humans and canines, a raffle, a photo booth, little swimming pools set up for the dogs, and food trucks. Many of the people who have adopted dogs through TLRD came with their pups. Sim and I had a great time. My greedy little guy went home with a free tennis ball, frisbee, kibble scoop, poop bag holder, reusable grocery bags, and a belly full of treats. But the best part was seeing all of these happy people with their happy dogs. I had a good time getting to know some of them.
                   

I couldn't help myself and bought him a new Batman collar too.

I also finally got around to getting a first aid kit. I'd been meaning to put together some basic supplies to have with me on our road trips and hikes, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet. There was a booth set up selling all sorts of emergency kits that can be used on people or animals. I'm no Doomsday Prepper by any means, but I still want to be prepared for an accident with the basics like gauze, vet wrap, tweezers, antibiotic cream, an icepack, styptic powder etc.

If you are looking for a furry best friend of your own, adopt before you shop. There are so many dogs that deserve and need good homes.